Skrevet av Emne: Footprints across time ... visiting the 4,500 year old footprints  (Lest 47 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
"Long ago, a group of nine Prehistoric Native American explorers approached a cave in Tennessee with river cane torches in hand, and waded into the small stream that emerges from it's mouth. With only the light from their torches, they crossed into the caves dark zone passages, eventually making their way down a side passage approximately two hours journey from the cave's entrance. They explored this passage to its end before turning around and exiting by the route from which they came, leaving footprints and torch material in the cave mud. These footprints remained, undisturbed for over 4,500 years.

This cave had been known and explored in the modern era, but thought to end after only 600 meters. In 1976, cavers \surveyors from the National Speleological Society (NSS) found additional miles of passage and came upon the prehistoric remnants  \ footprints of these prehistoric explorers. They immediately notified archaeologists who proceeded to assemble a team who were able to investigate the prehistoric exploration of this cave with a focus on the passage that became known as "Aborigine Avenue"."

Read more:

https://www.exploringthisbluedot.com/2018/05/footprints-across-time-visiting-4500.html
"When I try to imagine a faultless love
Or the life to come, what I hear is the murmur
Of underground streams, what I see is a limestone landscape."
W.H. Auden, "In Praise of Limestone"