Skrevet av Emne: Gwent Caving Club members were underground when earthquake hit  (Lest 334 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
"GWENT cavers said they were “very lucky” to be safe on Saturday after being underground near the epicentre of an earthquake.

The Gwent Caving Club had travelled to Swansea to cave in Ogof Ffynnon Ddu, the second-longest cave in Wales located in the Upper Swansea Valley and had began their excursion before hearing a rumbling.

Jamie Larke, of Blaina, who has been caving for 20 years, said they were climbing an underground waterfall when the rumbling began.

He said: “There was huge rumbling which was ongoing for at least 10 seconds and we thought that there had been a cave-in.

“A few minutes after that there was an awful smell like rotten eggs which usually means there has been some rock movement.

“We had a quick look around in the immediate area and decided everything was OK and carried on with our trip."

Read more:

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/16030932.__39_We_felt_very_lucky__39__say_Gwent_Caving_Club_members_who_were_underground_when_an_earthquake_hit
"When I try to imagine a faultless love
Or the life to come, what I hear is the murmur
Of underground streams, what I see is a limestone landscape."
W.H. Auden, "In Praise of Limestone"