Skrevet av Emne: Oldest human remains outside Africa  (Lest 374 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
Oldest human remains outside Africa
« på: 03.02.2018 10:48 »
"A partial jawbone bearing seven teeth unearthed in a cave in Israel represents what scientists are calling the oldest-known Homo sapiens remains outside Africa, showing that our species trekked out of that continent far earlier than previously known.
Researchers on Thursday announced the discovery of the fossil estimated as 177,000 to 194,000 years old, and said the teeth bore telltale traits of Homo sapiens not present in close human relatives alive at the time including Neanderthals."

Read more:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-science-humans/oldest-human-remains-outside-africa-found-in-israeli-cave-idUSKBN1FE2SY
"When I try to imagine a faultless love
Or the life to come, what I hear is the murmur
Of underground streams, what I see is a limestone landscape."
W.H. Auden, "In Praise of Limestone"

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
Sv: Oldest human remains outside Africa
« Svar #1 på: 06.02.2018 11:17 »
Mer om Misliya grotten:

"Today the site appears to be a rock shelter or an overhang, carved into the cliff. However, its form, together with remnants of enclosing walls, the ancient flowstones and the numerous boulders along the slope, suggests that it is a large collapsed cave. The cliff at Misliya, facing W/SW, is about 17-20 m high.
The anthropogenic usage of Misliya Cave is closely associated with ancient caves at the cliff face and their gradual collapse during the retreat of the cliff. The human occupation apparently occurred before, during and after some major collapse events, which occurred through the mid-late Pleistocene. Some of the collapsed debris appears to have rolled some distance down the talus at the foot of the cliff."

More:

http://misliya.haifa.ac.il/archaeology/archaeology.html
"When I try to imagine a faultless love
Or the life to come, what I hear is the murmur
Of underground streams, what I see is a limestone landscape."
W.H. Auden, "In Praise of Limestone"