Skrevet av Emne: Planners to discuss cave preservation  (Lest 508 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
Planners to discuss cave preservation
« på: 03.01.2018 22:17 »
"An effort to keep a local cave from being impacted by development will be discussed when the Putnam County Regional Planning Commission meets this evening.

In an email to county planner Kevin Rush, Albert Ogden — a retired TTU geology professor — said he purchased a tract of land in Eastlake subdivision about 25 years ago in order to protect the cave on the property.

The 8.14-acre tract has never been developed, and Ogden would like to keep it that way.

"The cave is called Secret Cave and is considered to be on of the top five most beautiful caves in the state which is why I bought it to preserve it," Ogden said.

Ogden, who now lives in Murfreesboro, said he has been trying for a couple of years now to sell the land to either the National Speleological Society or the Southeast Cave Conservancy.

"Because the land is in a subdivision, it is a bit pricier than they are accustomed to buying to preserve caves," he said.

So Ogden is proposing that he subdivide the lot in order to sell the 2.5 acres surrounding the cave separately from the rest of the property.

He said doing so would make the property more affordable to someone willing to purchase it and "willing to sign any necessary agreement of understanding that the land would be declared green space and forever not be built upon." "

More:

http://herald-citizen.com/stories/planners-to-discuss-cave-preservation,25186
"When I try to imagine a faultless love
Or the life to come, what I hear is the murmur
Of underground streams, what I see is a limestone landscape."
W.H. Auden, "In Praise of Limestone"