Skrevet av Emne: Bats in 6 Minn. counties confirmed to have white-nose syndrome  (Lest 489 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
"White-nose syndrome has now killed bats in six counties in Minnesota, up from two previous year, and probably has spread to virtually everywhere in Minnesota where bats spend their winters. The disease is also suspected in Lake, Pine, Ramsey and Hennepin counties. DNR biologists think the sharp decline there may reflect how long the disease has been present.

The fungus was first discovered in NY 10 years ago, but it's now spread to 33 states and five Canadian provinces - killing more than 6 million bats. The cave and bat samples collected in Childress, Collingsworth, Cottle, Hardeman, King, and Scurry counties were analyzed by researchers at the University of New Hampshire as part of University of California at Santa Cruz, TAMU, and BCI research projects.

A notorious fungus that's killing bats by the millions is now in Texas, a state with the nation's largest diversity of bats and, in a cave outside San Antonio, one of the world's largest colonies of a single species."

more:

http://oakridgeobserver.com/2017/03/24/bats-in-6-minn-counties-confirmed-to-have-white-nose/
"When I try to imagine a faultless love
Or the life to come, what I hear is the murmur
Of underground streams, what I see is a limestone landscape."
W.H. Auden, "In Praise of Limestone"