Skrevet av Emne: White Nose Syndrome Found In French Bat  (Lest 4411 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
White Nose Syndrome Found In French Bat
« på: 02.01.2010 11:09 »
Om dette stemmer så kan det være alvorlige nyheter:

"Geomyces destructans found in France: The fungus associated with WNS has been documented on a bat in France. See the published article in Emerging Infectious Diseases Journal"

http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/16/2/pdfs/09-1391.pdf

Edit: Emnet gjort prioritert. Admin
« Siste redigering: 31.01.2010 10:42 av Rolf »
"When I try to imagine a faultless love
Or the life to come, what I hear is the murmur
Of underground streams, what I see is a limestone landscape."
W.H. Auden, "In Praise of Limestone"

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
Sv: White Nose Syndrome Found In French Bat
« Svar #1 på: 05.01.2010 22:31 »
Jeg er veldig usikker på hva dette kan innebære. Hvilken vei sykdommen har vandret. Om den har kommet fra USA så kan det være alvorlig. Om den har vandret motsatt vei så er det mange spørsmål som må besvares.

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
« Svar #2 på: 07.01.2010 19:29 »
"Once brought to Ireland, the team conducted a detailed analysis of the white fungus. UCD’s Dr Hubert Fuller, an expert in funguses, cultured spores and these underwent a detailed genetic analysis, focusing on two genes characteristic of G destructans.

"The cultured spores had the same unusual curved shape described by US researchers, but the real confirmation came after the genetic analysis, Teeling says. The European sample had “a 100 per cent sequence identity with the US fungus”, leaving no doubt that the European bat was carrying G destructans.

This discovery served to raise many more questions, Teeling says. Was the fungus somehow transferred across to Europe or was it already present? Are European bats at the same risk as their US cousins or have they some level of immunity, given that researchers have not yet discovered bats dying in numbers from the infection?"

More:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sciencetoday/2010/0107/1224261812886.html

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
« Svar #3 på: 11.02.2010 12:45 »
Speleological union of Ireland orienterer sine medlemmer om hvit snute syndromet (WNS):

"A team of researchers in UCD in collaboration with their French colleagues confirmed the presence of this fungus in a bat in France and review the possible implications for bat conservation in Puechmaille et al (2010). They emphasise “the need to understand, monitor and control the progression of WNS” since bats constitute more than 25% of the world’s mammalian populations and play major roles in insect control and ecosystem functions." (...) "Bat Conservation Ireland is currently compiling a fact sheet on WNS and this will be distributed widely. If you wish to receive further information, please email info [at] batconservationireland [dot] org."

http://www.caving.ie/2010/02/white-nose-syndrome-–-a-new-threat-to-bat-populations/