Skrevet av Emne: U56 - Puertas de Illamina  (Lest 2840 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
U56 - Puertas de Illamina
« p: 07.04.2009 03:22 »
En gammel beskrivelse, men likevel fasinerende:

"If the shivers don’t run down your spine when you hear the magic word  "BU56", then you are 1) not a caver or 2) a speleological barbarian.

The BU56, situated in the Spanish Pyrenees has been discovered nearly 24 years ago but it still remains a mythical cave. Once it was the deepest of the planet (-1408 m) on even now it is still a cave of which we all speak with a lot of respect.

And why is the BU56 so special?

Caves of over 1000 meters deep are, these days, not exceptional anymore: there are over 50 of them.   But in most cases, these are vertical caves in which you go down on a rope; all the way to the bottom.  Underground progression in such a cave, becomes a technical  thing, and climbing out of such a cave is quite monotonous; hanging on a rope for 15 hours or more is … just boring.

But in some caves, to reach the magical depth of one thousand meters, you must progress for many kilometres and deal with many obstacles such as waterfalls, pitches, big piles of boulders, narrow and difficult winding meanders. Roaring underground rivers, beautiful flowstone formations, giant underground rooms are the icing on the cake in such caves.   Often they have multiple entrances which offer extra possibilities such as through-trips.  These are the caves we all love.

Gouffre Berger (-1271 m), Réseau Jean-Bernard (-1602 m), Systema Badalona (-1050 m), Réseau de la Pierre-St-Martin (-1342 m) are some of those fantastic and “complete” caves, that are on every cavers’ wish-list.   

And then… there is the BU56."

More:

http://www.scavalon.be/avalonuk/psm/bu56.htm
http://www.casj.co.uk/content/view/118/1/

"When I try to imagine a faultless love
Or the life to come, what I hear is the murmur
Of underground streams, what I see is a limestone landscape."
W.H. Auden, "In Praise of Limestone"