Skrevet av Emne: Tourism a no-no for world’s biggest cave  (Lest 2651 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
Tourism a no-no for world’s biggest cave
« på: 21.04.2010 08:20 »
Stor grotte i Vietnam, men er den verdens største ? :

"Both the cave and the jungle that surrounds it would be endangered by tourists, says a geomorphologist

While the discovery of the world’s largest cave to date has spelunkers and others all excited, at least one expert is saying… no tourists for now, please.

Nguyen Hieu, deputy director of Faculty of Geography at the Hanoi University of Science told Thanh Nien Weekly: “The cave is very far out of the way. It's totally covered in jungle, and the terrain is very difficult.”

Hieu went on to say that Son Doong was now an “active cave”, so it should be served for science research only, not for tourism. The movement of tourists in the grotto would be difficult due to its complicated terrain, and it may also destroy primary forests.”"

More:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/2010/Pages/20100418134126.aspx
"When I try to imagine a faultless love
Or the life to come, what I hear is the murmur
Of underground streams, what I see is a limestone landscape."
W.H. Auden, "In Praise of Limestone"

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
Sv: Tourism a no-no for world’s biggest cave
« Svar #1 på: 08.07.2013 20:45 »
Det ser nå ut som om Son Doong Cave er tilgjengelig for begrenset turisme:

Oxalis Caving Tours skriver:

"Son Doong cave (in Vietnamese: Hang Sơn Đoòng, meaning Mountain River Cave) is a cave in Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park, Bo Trach District, Quang Binh Province, Vietnam. The cave is located near the Laos-Vietnam border ( 17°27'25.88"N 106°17'15.36"E). It has a large fast-flowing underground river inside.
The cave was found by a local man named Hồ-Khanh in 1991. The local jungle men were afraid of the cave for the roaring sound it makes from the underground river. However, not until 2009 was it made known to the public when a group of British scientists from the British Cave Research Association, led by Howard and Deb Limbert, conducted a survey in Phong Nha-Ke Bang from April 10-14, 2009. Their progress was stopped by a large calcite wall. According to Limbert, this cave is five times larger than the Phong Nha cave, previously considered the biggest cave in Vietnam. The main passage of Son Doong is over five kilometres in length, in places 200 meters high and 150 meters wide. With these dimensions, Son Doong overtakes Deer Cave in Malaysia to take the title of the world's largest cave passage.

The Government of Quang Binh Province has just allowed pilot tours to Son Doong cave, first tourist trip will be some time in the middle of May 2013. This is 7 days trip including 1 day training and fitness test and 6 days in the cave. "

http://www.oxalis.com.vn/GL/en/aboutus/215/
http://oxalis.com.vn/oxalis/son-doong-info

Utlogget Aksnes

• trrr
  • Nytt medlem
« Svar #2 på: 09.07.2013 10:52 »
Det hadde vært en opplevelse uten det vanlige !! :)

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
« Svar #3 på: 13.09.2013 19:53 »
Reportasje om grotten i Daily Mail (fine bilder)

"Son Doong, in Quang Binh, Vietnam, was discovered in 2009 by Howard and Deb Limbert from Bradford
They gave up jobs as biomedical scientists in the NHS to explore caves around the world
There is no record of humans visiting the underground forest
Tress up to 50 metres tall have flourished thanks to large entrances letting in sunlight

This is the jaw-dropping hidden utopia that a Bradford couple chanced upon on holiday.

The underground cave is showered with sunlight that pours through two huge entrances, allowing trees up to 50 metres tall to flourish.

Tucked behind a mountain in Vietnam, Son Doong - meaning river mountain - has sat peacefully under the human radar for as long as records can show.

Caves are defined as 'big enough for a human to fit inside'. Towering above its minuscule explorers, this cave has shocked nature experts.

Measuring 5.5 miles long, it is home to a lush green forest, cascading waterfalls, giant stalagmites and stalactites and a river. The cavern is so large, a 40-story skyscraper could fit within its walls.

The luscious underground forest is home to all sorts of cave-dwelling creatures from flying foxes to monkeys.

The cave was first explored in 2009 by Howard Limbert, 56, and his wife Deb, 53."

More:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2418621/Bradford-couple-discover-worlds-largest-cave-Vietnam.html

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
« Svar #4 på: 25.09.2013 21:19 »
Daily Mail følger opp med enda flere bilder fra Son Doong cave:

"It had lain undetected beneath the Annamite Mountains in a remote part of central Vietnam for millions of years until one day in 1991 when a local farmer stumbled across it and sought shelter there from a storm.

But Ho Khanh's subsequent attempts to get back to the enormous cave he'd found were unsuccessful, so he forgot about it and went on with his job until years later when a group of British cavers asked for his help in finding it.

In 2009 they got lucky, and the Son Doong Cave was - at 5.5 miles long and 650ft wide - officially confirmed as the world's largest cave, five time the size of Malaysia's Deer Cave, which had held the title until then."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2432031/Son-Doong-Cave-The-worlds-largest-cave-open-tours-Vietnam.html

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
« Svar #5 på: 28.09.2013 16:29 »
"Son Doong cave was classified as the largest cave in the world by BCRA and selected as one of the most beautiful in the globe by the BBC news. Son Doong cave is more than 200 meters wide, 150 meters high, and approx 9 kilometers long, with caverns big enough to fit an entire city street inside them, twice as large as Deer Cave in Malaysia (currently considered the world's largest with 90 meters wide, 100 meters high and 2 kilometers long).
In next time, Japan's NHK World TV will broadcast on June 25 a 3D scientific reportage on Vietnam's Son Doong cave.
The newest exploring videos about Son Doong cave: "

http://www.sondoongcave.org/videos.html

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
« Svar #6 på: 01.04.2014 21:00 »
"Taking a tour through the world's biggest cave

Some 300 metres below the surface of the surrounding land lies a beach of the finest sand. Clouds hang low.

When you brush your teeth on a ledge above the rocky chasm, you can hardly see the jungle down below, where the white mists are swirling in the morning air.

This is a view into the most voluminous cave in the world. Eight kilometres away by an underground path is the other end, the "Vietnamese Wall."

The Hang Son Doong lies in the Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park in central Vietnam, near the border with Laos. Within the cave a river flows. It rages at some points and is gentle and sometimes not even visible at others.

After every rainy season it breaks new ground through the stony tunnel. Where it once flowed, sand remains behind - and there's a lot of sand. The cave is so gigantic that it forms its own clouds.

"Many of its really large caverns have their own cloud systems," says Howard Limbert."

More:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/travel/Vietnam-from-the-underground-30230604.html

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
« Svar #7 på: 01.09.2014 21:05 »
"Vietnam authorities suspend tours to world’s largest cave

Adventure tours to Vietnam’s Son Doong Cave -- the largest cave in the world -- has been suspended starting September 1.
Authorities in the north-central province of Quang Binh made their announcement following the the conclusion of a one-year pilot tourism program involving a single vendor."
(...)

"Visitation to Son Doong, which spans 150 meters high and 200 meters wide, is restricted for conservation purposes, according to Quang Binh authorities."

More:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/travel/vietnam-authorities-suspend-tours-to-worlds-largest-cave-30576.html

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
« Svar #8 på: 19.08.2016 10:15 »
"There has been a rush for tickets to explore Son Doong Cave, the largest in the world, next year.
Chua Me Dat (Oxalis) Adventure Tours, the exclusive tour organizer, said Quang Binh Province authorities have decided to allow only 640 visitors next year.
“Depending on weather conditions, Oxalis may organize tours for 500-600 tourists,” the company said in a statement August 15 when it opened the sale of tickets.
Thousands of people have sought tickets, which would be sold on and a first come, first served basis to those who satisfy health requirements, the company said.
Oxalis has been organizing five-day tours to the cave with 10 people at most.
The cave opens from January to August every year to avoid bad weather.
This year 442 people have visited so far, including a group of diplomats from several countries like Argentina, Sweden, Italy, and the Czech Republic.
Oxalis, headquartered in the Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park in Quang Binh, has been organizing tours to Son Dong Cave since 2013."

More:

http://www.thanhniennews.com/travel/demand-massive-as-2017-tour-of-worlds-largest-cave-goes-on-sale-65314.html

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
« Svar #9 på: 11.06.2017 17:43 »
"The interior landscape of Son Doong Cave is ethereal and fantastic. Keep in mind that this mystical landscape is cloaked in darkness. The camera sees far more than the naked eye.

This spring I visited and spent a number of days and nights in the world’s largest cave, in the jungle mountains of central Vietnam. Fewer people have been to the cave than have been into space. This was a journey of 6,000 miles to the other side of the world, and an arduous trek through the jungle, down precipices, and across narrow and high bridges in the darkness with water gurgling far below.

For me, the appeal of visiting the world’s largest cave was less to do with the “cavey things”, or even the varied landscapes and portals of the cave, and more to do with where one begins to see the light. In other words, this was a spiritual quest as all journeys are, or should be."

Read more:

https://www.digitalfieldguide.com/blog/15572