Skrevet av Emne: Ice Age-Era Cave System Found Under Major City  (Lest 274 ganger)

0 medlemmer og 1 gjest leser dette emnet.

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
"Pie-XII Park lies in the heart of Montréal, surrounded by busy city streets. But it's what lies beneath those streets that has cave experts and city residents buzzing.

A new network of caves, dating back to the Earth's last Ice Age, and extending nearly 700 feet, were discovered in October by Daniel Caron and Luc Le Blanc, two speleologists (cave experts). The find was only recently announced after the site was secured.

On October 12, Caron and Le Blanc were exploring the already well-known St. Léonard cave that lies just underneath Pie-XII Park. The original portion of the cave had been discovered in 1812, but cave experts have long speculated that more was hidden beneath.

For most of Montréal, however, the large network lurking below the city was unknown.

"They’ve dug sewers and made basements, but no one had ever seen them," La Blanc said of the cave network.

Caron and Le Blanc decided to explore their hunch in 2014, when they began spelunking through the St. Léonard caverns searching for new passages."

Read more:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/12/cave-discovery-montreal-st-leonard-ice-age-spd
"When I try to imagine a faultless love
Or the life to come, what I hear is the murmur
Of underground streams, what I see is a limestone landscape."
W.H. Auden, "In Praise of Limestone"

Utlogget Rolf

• Administrator
  • Heroisk medlem
Sv: Ice Age-Era Cave System Found Under Major City
« Svar #1 på: 09.12.2017 16:27 »
"The spectacular find is connected to Montreal's Saint-Léonard Cavern, which lies underneath Parc Pie XII, not far from Highway 40.

The main portion of the cavern has been open to members of the public for decades, but tour guides had no idea there had been a massive section hidden behind a limestone wall."

Read more:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-underground-passage-1.4428833
"When I try to imagine a faultless love
Or the life to come, what I hear is the murmur
Of underground streams, what I see is a limestone landscape."
W.H. Auden, "In Praise of Limestone"